Twitter logo Facebook logo Flickr logo

Tel: 0333 370 4700

Enrol: 0207 364 5665

Digital Gallery Images

The Gallery includes images of the borough's streets and buildings and portraits of people and communities. The Digital Gallery images are displayed as thumbnails. Full size images can be viewed by clicking on a thumbnail.

How do I obtain a copy of an image?

Photographic copies can be obtained from Tower Hamlets Local Studies and Archives (there is a charge for this service) or a maximum of 5 digital copies can be emailed to you. If you would like to use the images for publication or display please contact us at localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Title:

Millwall Park

Image Number:

#IHT/t0053

Copyright:

© THLHLA

Keywords:

Island History Trust Image Collection

Description:

C.1987, a view of railway viaduct, Millwall Park, with Docklands Light Railway train, from banks of Mudchute. Built in the 1870s for Millwall Extension Railway, the viaduct originally carried trains to the terminus in Ferry Street (approximate site of Poplar, Blackwall and District Rowing Club). It was used by workers from south of the river to get to work in the docks and factories on the Island; also used by Millwall football Club supporters when the team played on ground in East Ferry Road (until 1910).The service was suspended during the General Strike (1926) and not re-opened due to falling profits caused by the competition of the new motor buses. The arches were used by small businesses, including a blacksmith, and as air-raid shelters in world war two. When the DLR was constructed in the 1980s, the viaduct was brought back into use to carry trains to the new terminus, Island Gardens, over a new bridge in Manchester Road. The DLR extension under the Thames to Lewisham made all this redundant again, and the overground Island Gardens Station, together with the bridge, were demolished. In the background to this picture are: the entrance to the foot tunnel, the Royal Naval college and the Observatory at Greenwich. Donated by Derek Chambers