Twitter logo Facebook logo Flickr logo

Tel: 0333 370 4700

Enrol: 0207 364 5665

Digital Gallery Images

The Gallery includes images of the borough's streets and buildings and portraits of people and communities. The Digital Gallery images are displayed as thumbnails. Full size images can be viewed by clicking on a thumbnail.

How do I obtain a copy of an image?

Photographic copies can be obtained from Tower Hamlets Local Studies and Archives (there is a charge for this service) or a maximum of 5 digital copies can be emailed to you. If you would like to use the images for publication or display please contact us at


Dockland Settlement 1905

Image Number:





Island History Trust Image Collection


Now the Dockland Settlement No. 2, and recognised locally for many years as a centre of family entertainment and recreation, this building was originally set up on land provided by Lady Margaret Charteris as‘The Welcome', a club and dining hall for factory girls. When Machonochies opened in 1897, they employed a number of girls from far afield. Miss Price, of St. Mildred's noticed that these girls had nowhere to go in their dinner hour, and she started up a dining hall for them in Westferry Road. As time went on the needs room became too small to meet the demand - 150 dinners daily - and in 1905 the ‘Welcome Institute' was opened with a large dining room for 250, smaller rooms for recreation, a good kitchen and accommodation for ‘lady' workers and ‘servants'. The ‘Welcome' ran succesfully until 1923, when the lady in charge retired; it was then purchased on behalf of the Dockland Settlement, and was taken over by Captain Kimberley, who remained there for the next 27 years. this photograph may have been taken at the time of the opening of the ‘Welcome Institute' in 1905. The women in the white blouse, facing camera, was identified by the donor, Mrs Sarah Stone, as her mother, Mrs Sarah Clayden. Sarah Clayden’s mother had migrated to the UK from southern Ireland and met and married Tom Clayden, son of a farm labourer from Billericay.