English for Speakers of Other Languages
What is ESOL?
ESOL classes are English language classes for anyone who has come to the UK to settle and live permanently and for whom English is not their first language. Our ESOL courses aim to improve speaking, listening, reading and writing skills and can help you to:
• Participate more fully in life in the UK and your local community
• Talk to doctors and teachers
• Help your child with homework
• Help you and your family to be healthier
• Help you to use computers to access services
• Understand the laws and customs of the UK
• Find work
• Gain a qualification (subject to eligibility)
We deliver ESOL classes at Idea Stores and learning centres across the borough from Pre-Entry to Level 2. Most of our ESOL courses run 2 days a week (morning, afternoon or evening). Some classes are more informal and run less often. Class sizes are carefully managed to make sure you get the right amount of support and attention from your teacher. You will be in a group of people who are at the same level as you and when your class ends, we will tell you what you can do next.
Not all our ESOL courses lead to a qualification. To be eligible for a free qualification course you will need to be:
• resident in the United Kingdom or the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) continuously for at least the previous three years or be the family member of someone who has.
• unemployed and receiving some type of benefit
• looking for work
• studying for that qualification for the first time
You must be assessed before joining any of our ESOL programmes.
How to get on an ESOL course
• Visit your nearest Idea Store or call 020 7364 5665
• We will invite you to an ESOL initial assessment session.