This volume is part of a series of poor rate books, 1783-1836. These volumes are part of the archives of the civil parish of Bromley Saint Leonard (otherwise Bromley-by-Bow). Explore catalogue descriptions to the archives (ref L/BSL).
The poor rate was a local tax, based on property, levied for the maintenance of the poor of the parish. The assessment is arranged in a geographical format. It begins at Bromley High Street and ends at Bromley New Town. The information is in four columns.
- First column (left-hand page): name of the owner
- Second column: brief description of the property
- Third column: the rateable value of the property
- Fourth column: amount to be paid
- Locations are in red ink across both pages.
The index is by Jozef van der Voort.
An * indicates an abbreviated first name in the original document.